Notes from Shopgirl

12 Mar

I am one of those girls who really likes romantic comedies. I’m not saying I don’t enjoy the Die Hard Franchise or a movie about an exorcism here and there.

BUT.

When I’m feeling kind of cruddy there is nothing better than watching a silly light movie. And I’m not really feeling all that cruddy today, just tired from hours of dance practicing last night. Did I tell you that I’m taking classes internet? Yes, by this time next year I plan on being the best Tribal Belly-dancer I can be. Until then, I can use a dance break. And this dancing gal fancies a night with the one of the best Romantic Comedy duos of all time (just my opinion):

Tom Hanks & Meg Ryan:

This is like pulling out the big guns in the romantic comedy universe, btw.

And even though I have seen it a million times tonight I’m really excited to watch “You’ve Got Mail.” It’s just a million little things about that movie that I cannot wait to see. As an ex-librarian I can say with complete honesty, Kathleen Kelly’s bookstore was the most beautiful thing I have ever experienced in a movie (Yeah I know the cinematic masterpiece of the LOTR, etc. I was based on a book not full of them!) “The Shop around the Corner” was this magical place that inspires children to love reading for all their lives with the intricate care, nicely sorted books and Steven Zahn. I had a bookstore like that as a kid, and although everything is digital in this world, I wish that this kind of place was available to every child (and that their parents would take the time to share places like this with them.) And then there is Joe Fox, he was just so charming, and broke my heart when he was in that elevator  with the man “who knew exactly what he wanted, and I found myself wishing I were as lucky as he.” Also he made me want to  laugh so hard when he was tricking Meg Ryan into being totally enamored by his screenname even though he was such a jerk to her in person. Actually, almost every line in this movie is one of my favorite things. And although most of them are credited to the smooth styling’s of Mr. Tom Hanks… I want to share my favorite quote from a little lady who likes to call herself Shopgirl@aol:

Every girl pretty much everywhere wants to feel the way Meg Ryan does when she says this.

And if any dude would like to say some iteration of this to me after a whirlwind day of eating churros and playing tennis in the beautiful Californian outside we live in, I would very much appreciate that.

Also, and more seriously, is there a cuter line from a romantic comedy? When Harry Met Sally? Sleepless in Seattle? While You were sleeping? It Happened One Night? Sixteen Candles? And if you are going to quote the Wedding Planner “You saved my… shoe” please don’t unless that is your favorite quote from that movie…and also if that is your favorite quote you really like shoes.

Happy Tuesday everyone.

Lauren

11 Responses to “Notes from Shopgirl”

1. Pixie Girl March 12, 2013 at 5:34 pm #

One of my favourite quotes is from a romantic comedy that’s less than classic, but still:

‘It doesn’t mean that you’re never going to get hurt, but the pain you feel will never compare to the regret that comes from walking away from love. And from someone who’s felt a lot of both, trust me, regret beats pain every day of the week and twice on Sunday.’

• Viciously Sweet March 13, 2013 at 9:55 am #

I do believe that movie has the wonderful and magical Jennifer Garner!
      That is actually a really nice quote.
      It makes me smiley and reflective all at once!

2. Ruby Tuesday March 12, 2013 at 5:44 pm #

Did you know that You’ve Got Mail is actually a remake of the 1940 romantic comedy The Shop Around The Corner, with Margaret Sullivan and Jimmy Stewart? You mention the title, but in the original there was no book store, so I got curious.

In any case, The Shop Around The Corner (1940) is really excellent, and worth a watch if you haven’t seen it — or another, if you have. :)

• Viciously Sweet March 13, 2013 at 10:03 am #

Oh Ruby!
      I have not seen this… and I feel like it may be the most necessary thing I have seen today.
      Oh and Jimmy Stewart is very adorable… I found this it’s just like the one I found of Meg and Tom:
      Shop Around the Corner!
      A million thanks…You have enlightened my brain today!

3. Jen and Tonic March 12, 2013 at 8:57 pm #

You’re such a romantic <3

• Viciously Sweet March 13, 2013 at 10:55 am #

That is very true!
      Thanks for making me smile Jen :)

4. Cakes McCain March 12, 2013 at 9:59 pm #

And if someone were to say à la Bridget Jones: “I like you, just as you are.” ;)
    btw – I have a date with a Mark Darcy next week… we’ll see if he measures up.

• Viciously Sweet March 13, 2013 at 10:57 am #

That is a really good one.
      Now the equivalent would be him buying you a new domain name ;)
      Also good luck girlie!

5. MissFourEyes March 13, 2013 at 10:45 am #

I love that movie! No, there is no cuter quote :)

• Viciously Sweet March 13, 2013 at 11:13 am #

Yay, it’s totally true!
      And last night when I watched her say it, I got happy, all over!