A Good Old Fashion Nautical Re-do

1 Aug

My mother told me a few weeks ago about this woman who has a super fun sounding job. She is a PROFESSIONAL MERMAID!
I asked myself how with all the imagination I have been blessed with… why did I never try to grow up to be a mermaid? And really… instead I chose architecture! I really, really blew it.

I’m putting in a formal request to my history. Small child Lauren, take all your doodles and dreams and craft a mermaid tail. It will change your life for the better. If you are a mermaid, no one will be awaiting your email during a regular 9-5. No one will stick you in a cubicle, no one will make you feel like you don’t belong. Instead you will get to be sparkly and entertain people, and you will get to see outside.

And I think you get to automatically meet Daryl Hannah… or at least get to eat dinner with Tom Hanks, and that would be like a 10,000% improvement in my quality of life.

And if you are a professional mermaid I think you get a briefcase made out of shells…

β™«Lauren

16 Responses to “A Good Old Fashion Nautical Re-do”

1. Ruby Tuesday August 1, 2012 at 5:04 pm #

From one sometime mermaid to another, I just have to say I adore this. Both the writing and the drawing are outstanding.

Happy swimming. :)

• Viciously Sweet August 1, 2012 at 11:18 pm #

Thanks a bunch! I’m so glad there are other mermaids out there who totally get it! Swim on, girl!

2. Ruby Tuesday August 1, 2012 at 5:07 pm #

Reblogged this on I Was Just Thinking. . . and commented:
    Having discovered recently that I am a mermaid and never knew it, you have to know I love this. And pretty much all of the things this lovely lady writes and draws about!

3. Cakes McCain August 2, 2012 at 3:02 am #

Me too! Ever since I saw this film when I was 9: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvSlxWQD0O8
    (she reminds me of you!)

• Viciously Sweet August 2, 2012 at 9:04 pm #

Oh my goodness. She’s such a glamorous mermaid! That is exactly what I want to be like, you know me so well!

• Cakes McCain August 3, 2012 at 5:34 am #

The whole film is on youtube, so you can watch it! The man is Mr. Mid-life Crisis tho… how typical!

• Viciously Sweet August 3, 2012 at 8:54 am #

Oh no… more men with problems! Even the guys I know who are 30 and under have been acting like they are in a midlife crisis lately!

4. Jen August 2, 2012 at 4:15 am #

Love this! You really do look fabulous as a mermaid!!

• Viciously Sweet August 2, 2012 at 9:15 pm #

If I were a mermaid, I would so travel down your direction. I feel like a mermaid would be very popular in Australia. Then you could abandon your cubicle and come and join me in my mermaidy kingdom! Winning in every direction… Right?

5. Edwin - Awkwardlist.com August 2, 2012 at 10:50 am #

A professional mermaid.. what they do? They just BE a mermaid? Because that’s awesome! To just be!

Awesome drawing!

• Viciously Sweet August 2, 2012 at 9:19 pm #

All you have to do is swim, smile, and wave… And just be! Well until you have to go to the bathroom… then it will get awkward ;)

6. The Hook August 4, 2012 at 5:35 am #

You need a time machine, girl! Or a very talented mad scientist…

• Viciously Sweet August 5, 2012 at 12:44 am #

Or both! Anything to make my dreams come true. The only thing I know is to never trust a Sea Witch named Ursula with these fishy matters.

7. kawashimadesigns August 5, 2012 at 5:13 am #

the art is too cute

• Viciously Sweet August 6, 2012 at 8:32 am #

Thank you so much! I’m so glad you enjoyed my mermaid dreams!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. The Mermaid Fantasy! | Viciously Sweet - September 27, 2013

[…] last year when IΒ drew myself as a mermaidΒ I started a frenzy of other people I know who also never got to realize their mermaid potential. I […]