Silly Requests: Architecture Edition

21 Feb

I work in an architectural firm. If you can believe it… sometimes, they let me design spaces real people occupy. However, no one ever lets me put large tiger tapestries in these spaces… mostly because in our contract’s owners provide the furnishings…

But really what can you do about that?

Sometimes, our clients come in and tell us really crazy things they want in projects. We always try to appease them (they are paying for a space, after all) but sometimes they tell us things that really boggle our minds.

That brings us to today’s doodle:

In the real situation: this guy is a higher up who would rather not walk past reception to get to his office… Take that any way you need to. (I think the sour grapes face in my doodle responds quite well to how I assessed the situation, but that is just my opinion.)

What happened was an explanation of why this would not really work, his office for example is nowhere near a corridor (nor could we make a hallway that lead solely to his office.) However, that wicked side of me really wanted to tell him to propel into his space from the roof… but only doodle Lauren gets to experience this as a reality…

I’m going to go draw stuff now.

♫Lauren

11 Responses to “Silly Requests: Architecture Edition”

1. Lafemmeroar February 21, 2012 at 4:44 pm #

This is too funny … mission impossible indeed!

2. leecalisti February 21, 2012 at 4:55 pm #

I have told clients that if they want a firepole and the code permits it, I’ll include it. However I have made my share of sour faces.

• Viciously Sweet February 22, 2012 at 8:44 am #

Why do people do this to us? I try to give the clients what they want, but sometimes… it is just ridiculous! It’s also heartbreaking when they start to value engineer out the items you thought made the project special. You just want to pretend that project doesn’t exist in your cannon of work!

3. Cakes McCain February 22, 2012 at 1:32 am #

I think he had sex with the receptionist. ;)

• Viciously Sweet February 22, 2012 at 8:42 am #

I was thinking that was a possibility. But his receptionist would have to be severely blind and desperate… maybe we just cracked the case on your Creep of the Week!

• Cakes McCain February 22, 2012 at 10:20 am #

By Jove! I think that’s HIM! …or more than likely he thinks she is way into him – DENIAL. LOL!

4. Jen and Tonic February 24, 2012 at 3:02 pm #

I don’t understand why people hire professionals if they think they know it all. I don’t cut my own hair because I’d rather have someone with experience do it. If I did it myself I’d end up with a pseudo-mullet for sure. In your case, people would end up with “mullet buildings”…

• Viciously Sweet February 24, 2012 at 3:44 pm #

Hahahaha. That is the most beautiful way I have ever heard it described. I have some clients you should chat with!

5. TayabIqbal February 27, 2012 at 1:31 am #

I spent a year working in Interiors in commercial and education, it drove me insane so I moved..but the value engineering, and other cost cutting bullshit used to annoy me so much, especially when you would see money being wasting on other crap.

I was going to say a fireman pole but somebody beat me to it!

6. The Hook February 27, 2012 at 11:51 am #

Thank God for your artistic talent, tight? Draw, baby, draw!